10 SIMPLE CYBERSECURITY TIPS YOU CAN IMPLEMENT TODAY
Does cybersecurity sound like a buzzword to you?
It’s definitely a hot topic right now, but for a good reason!
We use technology every single day. Whether you’re emailing a client to schedule a meeting or paying your bills online, your hands touch tech.
Great news! There’s no reason to fear using tech if you’re proactive with security and routinely train your team.
Here are 10 simple steps you can implement today to protect your data and care for your business!
Ready? Let’s go!
- Train yourself and your team.
- You dit it! By reading this post, you’re taking the first step to learn and ask for help.
- Think before you click.
- Let’s take email for example. Did you receive an email from your boss asking you to purchase gift cards or wire money? Take a moment and think, “Does this make sense?” Phishing emails will often use the name of someone you know. Hover over the email address to confirm it’s a friend, not a foe. You can hover over any link in an email to double-check the URL. Best practice is to call that person and confirm their request.
- Use multi-factor authentication.
- MFA requires two or more verification factors to gain access to a resource (application, online account, etc).
- Three main types of MFA include: things you know (password or PIN), things you have (smartphone), and things you are (fingerprint or face recognition).
- Use a password management tool.
- Avoid public or guest wifi.
- Most public wifi is unencrypted and can lead to risk. Solution? Use the hotspot on your phone!
- Use antivirus.
- Antivirus software helps prevent, detect, and remove malware. We recommend Bitdefender.
- Backup your data.
- We recommend the 3-2-1 backup rule. The rule is: Keep at least three (3) copies of your data, and store two (2) backup copies on different storage media, with one (1) of them located offsite.
- Use passcode lock for mobile devices.
- Passcode lock is like having the front door key to your cell phone. No passcode? The door is wide open. Super easy to set up in seconds.
- Update equipment and software.
- Remember the software updates that pop up on your computer? Don’t hit “snooze” or “remind me in 120 minutes” button. Go make a cup of coffee and let the updates begin!
- Ask us for help! We love working with small business owners and nonprofit leaders to secure their tech. Our mission is to equip YOU to achieve YOUR mission. Reach out to us!
CALL: 865-686-6677 EXT 2